Alstom develops and markets the most complete range of systems, equipment and services in the railway sector, and provides innovative and environmentally-friendly rail solutions to meet mobility needs.
Alstom offers a range of obsolescence services to the railway industry:
- obsolescence study
- obsolescence monitoring and reporting
- obsolescence solutions
- full obsolescence management
For mid-life trains, we propose an obsolescence study that can identify the current and potential obsolescence risks:
- On-site audit of the rolling stock fleet
- Review parts lists to identify obsolescence of critical components
- Discuss with key suppliers and identify possible solutions
- Discuss current issues with fleet and propose roadmap for future
The obsolescence report will tell you where you are and what you need to do.
Obsolescence Monitoring and Reporting
Our obsolescence monitoring service will give you time to review possible strategies and plan for replacement solutions
- Identification of equipment & components that require a pro-active obsolescence strategy
- Pro-active monitoring of suppliers and components using a variety of techniques
- Partnership on obsolescence with key sub-system suppliers
- Obsolescence alerts with possible solutions when obsolescence is announced
- Support from specialist supply base for reverse engineering, software maintenance etc.
Alstom is already using these techniques to support its own rolling stock and infrastructure maintenance businesses.
We develop obsolescence solutions in three ways:
- Alstom’s product development process takes account of the needs of the aftermarket by ensuring backwards compatibility whenever it is practical
- Alstom’s service business develops standard obsolescence solutions for the aftermarket, with additional functionality wherever possible
- Alstom uses its expertise and knowledge to develop customer specific solutions where standard solutions are not possible
Using its OEM knowledge, Alstom is able to ensure that these solutions are validated to the latest standards of rail networks.
We can propose a comprehensive obsolescence management package that can support your rolling stock or infrastructure throughout its life Obsolescence planning as part of the original rolling stock or infrastructure delivery project
- Identify obsolescence critical components during the design phase
- Maintain design data and the engineering skills to support the product
- Develop strategies to counter obsolescence before operations impacted
- Pro-active monitoring of sub-systems, components and supply base
- Maintain supplier, plant and tooling records
- Retain and manage software development tools and simulators
- Identify contemporary solutions with increased functionality
- Support from specialist supply base for reverse engineering, software maintenance